Farro, Chicken, and Grape Salad
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 cups pearled farro, rinsed and drained
- Kosher salt
- 3 Tbs. mirin
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 1-1/2 Tbs. minced jalapeño
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbs. vegetable or canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups green seedless grapes, halved
- 1-1/2 cups small-diced seedless cucumber
- 1-1/2 Tbs. chopped fresh dill
- In a 4-quart saucepan, combine the farro with enough water to cover. Add 1/2 tsp. salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the farro is tender but slightly chewy, 18 to 20 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the mirin, lemon juice, sesame oil, jalapeño, 1-1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a 12-inch skillet, heat the vegetable oil on medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook, flipping once, until brown on both sides and just cooked through, 8 to 12 minutes total.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Add the chicken and any accumulated juice, the farro, grapes, cucumber, and dill to the vinaigrette. Toss to combine.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.