Preparation Time 1 HR 30 MIN
Total Time 2 HR 40 MIN
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water or milk
- 3 ¼ cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- Currants or Assorted candies, if desired
- Colored sugar or Additional sugar, if desired
- Beat granulated sugar, butter and molasses in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon, until well mixed. Beat in egg and water until blended. Stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, cardamom and cloves. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Roll 1/3 of dough at a time on floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. (Keep remaining dough refrigerated until ready to roll.) Cut with floured 2 1/2-inch gingerbread boy or girl cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Decorate with currants or candies. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake 6 to 7 minutes or until set. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack; cool.