Grilled Skirt Steak with Adobo Butter
SERVES 4 TO 6
- 1 7-oz. can chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1-1/2 oz. (3 Tbs.) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt
- 1-1/2 lb. skirt steak, trimmed and halved crosswise
- 1 Tbs. canola or vegetable oil
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Prepare a medium-high (400°F to 475°F) gas or charcoal grill fire.
- In a blender or small food processor, purée the chiles with their sauce.
- In a small bowl and using a fork, mash the butter with 1 Tbs. of the purée, the cilantro, and 1/2 tsp. salt until combined.
- Rub the steak all over with the oil and another 1 Tbs. of the chipotle purée (freeze the rest for future use). Season all over with 1 tsp. salt.
- Grill the steak, flipping once, until cooked to your liking, 5 to 8 minutes for medium rare (130°F).
- Transfer to a platter, top with about half of the butter, tent with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board (do not clean the platter), and thinly slice it across the grain.
- Return the steak and any juice to the platter and serve topped with the remaining butter and the lime wedges on the side.