You often see them everywhere – deli stores, supermarkets, local markets, and in the restaurant menus. Do you ever wonder how to cook Italian sausage in the oven?
Sausage is one of the popular and well-loved foods ever invented, with the sausage industry pegged at $80.4 billion by 2021. Sausages are readily available, easily accessible, and simple to prepare. Place them in the microwave and you have an instant meal.
Did you know that you could do so much more with sausages? In fact, you can even use your oven for that.
How is that possible? Read on to find out how to cook Italian sausage in the oven.
Get to Know Sausages a Little Bit Better
Diners in the USA will never be complete without sausages in it. What exactly are they made of?
Here’s what’s in a sausage:
- Pork meat
- Processed leftovers from various parts of pig such as head meat, blood, gut, and organs.
The casings for sausages are likewise different. Below are some of the casings used when making sausages:
- Fibrous – These are cellulose impregnated paper and not digestible.
- Natural – Made of loose connective tissue found beneath the mucus membrane, which is also part of the intestines.
- Collagen – This one is made of arranged fibers of edible protein from cattle hide.
Now that you know what sausages are made of, check out the next section to find out how to cook Italian sausages using the oven.
The Simplest Way on How to Cook Italian Sausage in the Oven
You might be wondering: why should you bake or use an oven when cooking Italian sausages or any other sausages?
Cooking sausages in an oven is easy and less complicated. All you have to do is the following steps:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the Italian sausages on top of the wire rack. Make sure you place the wire rack on top of the baking tray since it will serve as a basin for the excess oil and juices from the sausages.
- Spread the sausages evenly on the rack. You can place them on the wire rack as is or cut them in smaller pieces to allow them to cook faster. In case you plan on cutting them in pieces, make sure you read this post about Kitchen Cutlery: Different Types of Knives to guide you better on which knives to use on what food, including sausages. You might want to update your kitchen cutlery as well to make cooking easier for you.
- Cook the sausages for 20 minutes. Don’t forget to turn the sausages so that they will turn brown evenly.
Keep in mind that sausages must be piping hot all the way down the middle. If there remains pink portion, it means certain areas are not yet cooked and needs extra minutes in the oven.
You can also add spices on your sausages as you bake them in the oven. While in the baking pan or wire rack, sprinkle the sausages with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder for additional flavor. You can also stick to the simple salt and pepper as well to keep the flavor of sausages intact.
In case you are unsure of what spices to use, make sure you read this post about Top 10 Essential Kitchen Spices for your Kitchen. It tells you everything you need to know about staple kitchen spices you should have at home.
Now that you know the basic way of cooking sausages, the next section will tell you about different sausages recipes you can try at home using the oven.
Sausage Recipes Worth Trying
Don’t just limit yourself with baked sausages placed in a hotdog bun. Believe it or not, there are many dishes you can do when cooking sausages in the oven.
Check out these recipes:
Italian Sausage in Spaghetti Sauce
This one is easy to do. All you have to do is to bake the Italian sausages according to the instructions above. After baking, remove the excess juices and oil from the baking pan then pour spaghetti sauce over it. You can use any spaghetti sauce you like on this dish. Don’t forget to sprinkle with cheese on top before cooking it again for another five to 10 minutes.
Get your pasta ready while the sausages are being baked. Since you are using this dish as a sauce for your pasta, make sure you read this How to Make Pasta Correctly with 11 Tips to avoid compromising the texture of this dish.
Italian Sausages with Veggies
If you have extra time and you want to add more flavors to your usual sausage dish, then this one is a treat.
Here’s how to do this dish:
- Preheat the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice two each of red and green bell peppers.
- Thinly slice a large onion and crush four garlic cloves.
- Place all veggies in a baking pan and drizzle with olive oil and two teaspoons of oregano. Mix well then set aside.
- Cook Italian sausages in a pan for five to eight minutes.
- Pat dry to remove excess oil before placing them on top of the veggies.
- Place the baking pan inside the oven and bake for 30 to 45 minutes.
Serve with your desired side dish such as rice, buns, or bread. You can even use the sausages as a side dish to your salad.
Baking Tips to Remember When Learning How to Cook Italian Sausage in the Oven
Cooking Italian sausages in the oven is not hard work. At times, you just have to be creative on what to add on sausages for extra flavor. Nonetheless, take note of these baking tips:
- Always cook sausages in preheated oven. This will make cooking faster as well.
- The cooking time depends on the size of the sausage. Thicker sausages require 30 to 40 minutes while larger ones may ask for as much as 60 minutes cooking time. If you want quicker cooking time, slice the sausages in smaller parts.
- Turn the sausages to make sure all sides are cooked evenly.
Are you ready to cook Italian sausages in your oven? Go ahead and give this a try.
Photo by jeffreyw