A lovely asparagus pesto breakfast tart. Perfect for any brunch.
- Asparagus pesto breakfast tart
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 3 strips of bacon
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tsp pesto
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped (jarred is fine)
- 3 asparagus spears
- 6 eggs
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 4 basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place the puff pastry on a sheet of parchment paper and roll with a rolling pin in each direction a few times to make the pastry thinner, wider, and longer. Slightly roll the edges inward to form a small crust.
- Transfer the puff pastry, and the parchment paper to a baking sheet. poke several dozen holes in the puff pastry to avoid large air pockets from forming.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the butter and pesto. Microwave for 20 seconds, stir and repeat until melted. Brush all over the pastry with a pastry brush.
- Bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes or until a light golden brown.
- Allow to cool a bit.
- While the pastry is baking, cook the bacon in a skillet until mostly cooked, but not crispy. Chop into pieces.
- Place the asparagus flat on a cutting board, hold the stem tight with one hand, and with the other, shave the asparagus with a vegetable peeler into thin ribbons.
- Top the puff pastry with chopped bacon, asparagus ribbons and chopped red pepper.
- Separate the eggs and yolks into two bowl.
- Add the pepper to the bowl with the whites and stir until blended. Pour the whites evenly over the tart, avoiding the edges, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 for an additional 10-12 minutes, or until the egg whites have set. Remove the tart from oven and add the 6 egg yolks evenly across the tart, top with chopped basil. Return to oven and allow to cook until yolks have warmed, but are still runny, about 5 minutes.
- Cut the tart into six squares, with one yolk on each square. Serve immediately.