- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bottle beer of your choice (ales work very well)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Combine flour and pepper in a large bowl.
- Slowly pour in beer, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Dip food in batter, allow excess to drip back into bowl and drop directly into deep-fryer.
- Fry for 2 minutes or until dark golden brown, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels or newspaper.
- Serve with homemade tartar sauce.