Author Notes: This is very loosely based on a rice recipe that my mother used to make. I also added the big spash of red wine and that addition gives the dish an extra tang. It makes a great side dish or, with the addition of chicken pieces a main course. —dymnyno
1 cup yellow onion, medium diced
2 cups white (arborio) rice
1 gypsy pepper, medium diced
1 cup salami, diced
1/2 parsley, minced
1 quart canned tomatoes (your own or San Marizano)
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup good red wine (Cabernet is fabulous!)
3 tablespoons olive oil.
- In a large heavy pot over high flame pour 3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Dump in the onions, pepper , parsley and salami.
- Add the rice.
- Stir continuously until most of the rice has browned a golden color.
- Add the wine. Make sure it is good wine. If it is not good enough to drink it is not good enough to use for cooking
- Add the tomatoes.
- Add the chicken stock and stir a little
- When it begins to boil, cover and lower the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes…check to make sure that the bottom does not burn.
- Turn off the heat and leave it for a few minutes.
- This makes a great side dish or you can add cooked chicken pieces before you put the lid on and simmer and make it a main course.