Why not make vegetables the main course every now and then? Steaming is the low-calorie, high-nutrient way to cook them. Our zesty, superlight sauces and a hearty loaf of crusty whole-grain bread complete the course. If you like, add a wedge of cheese or some cooked chilled shrimp for protein.
Advertisement – Continue Reading Below
maple or maple-flavor syrup
light soy sauce
coarsely ground black pepper
Seasoned Vinegar Sauce
seasoned rice vinegar
light soy sauce
Oriental sesame oil
Thinly sliced green onion for garnish
Vegetables for Dipping
medium yellow straightneck squash
Radicchio leaves for garnish
loaf whole-grain bread
- Prepare Maple-Mustard Sauce: In small bowl, with wire whisk or fork, beat 1/2 cup Dijon mustard, 1/3 cup maple or maple-flavor syrup, 1/4 cup light soy sauce, and 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper until blended. Set aside.
- Prepare Seasoned Vinegar Sauce: In small bowl, with wire whisk or fork, beat 1 cup seasoned rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons catchup, 2 tablespoons light soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon Oriental sesame oil until blended. Garnish with thinly sliced green onion. Set aside.
- Cut each squash lengthwise into quarters. Hold base of each asparagus stalk firmly and bend the stalk; end will break off at spot where it becomes too tough to eat. Discard ends; trim scales if stalks are gritty. Separate cauliflower into large flowerets. Cut broccoli into stalks. Cut each tomato into 8 wedges.
- . Fill steamer or 5-quart Dutch oven with 1 inch water. Insert steamer basket and add cauliflower; over high heat, heat water to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and steam cauliflower 5 minutes. Add yellow squash and continue steaming 8 to 10 minutes until vegetables are tender-crisp. Remove vegetables to bowl; keep warm.
- Place broccoli in steamer basket; steam 5 minutes. Add asparagus and steam 5 to 8 minutes longer until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- To serve, arrange radicchio, vegetables, and tomato wedges on platter. Serve with Maple-Mustard Sauce, Seasoned Vinegar Sauce, and bread.