A Winter Salad with Curried Shrimp, Apples, and Cashews is a great dish for a light and easy evening meal. Fresh arugula topped with crisp apples and curried shrimp is a healthy and easy way to wind down and relax after a long day at work.
Winter Salad with Curried Shrimp, Apples, and Cashews Recipe
- 6 Tbs. rice vinegar
- 2-1/2 tsp. light brown sugar
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 Tbs. canola oil
- 2 tsp. fish sauce
- Kosher salt
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 lb. jumbo shrimp (21 to 25 per lb.), peeled and deveined, tails left intact, if you like
- 7 oz. mâche or arugula (7 to 8 cups)
- 2 medium Fuji or Gala apples, cored and cut into 1/4-inch-wide matchsticks
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted cashews, chopped
- In a small bowl, stir 4 Tbs. of the vinegar and 1 tsp. of the sugar until the sugar dissolves. add the shallot, let sit for 15 minutes, and then drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the remaining 2 Tbs. vinegar, 2 Tbs. oil, the remaining 1-1/2 tsp. sugar, the fish sauce, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Set aside.
- Combine the curry powder and 1/2 tsp. salt in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over both sides of the shrimp.
- Heat the remaining 1 Tbs. oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. add the shrimp and cook, flipping once, until just opaque, 2 to 3 minutes total.
- Add the shallot, mâche, apple, and cashews to the bowl with the vinaigrette, and toss to coat.
- Top with the shrimp, and serve immediately